This eye-catching cold starter is so easy and quick to make but packs a punch when it comes to flavour. Your first crunchy bite will pop with the sunny sweetness of the yellow bell pepper and then all the other flavours will follow in layers. One after the other, you will taste the freshness of the onions, the slightly salty bitterness of the olives, the saltiness of the capers and lastly you'll taste the meatiness of the tuna. All of these flavours are so well balanced with each other that you might not even spot the pungent boldness of the basil!
Don't be put off by what may seem like a lot of olive oil. The oil is an excellent carrier of flavour and it helps to bring all the flavours together in this dish. You can adjust it if you like, but if you use too little, the tuna may come out a little dry.
Yellow Bell Pepper Bruschetta
- large yellow pepper, halved from top to bottom
- 1 can of tuna, drained
- ¼ large onion, finely chopped (the finer you chop it, the sweeter the taste will be)
- 10 black olives, pitted
- 2 tsp capers, drained
- ½ cup good olive oil (Add a glug at a time, until the tuna is no longer dry.)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- fresh basil
- Halve the yellow pepper from top to bottom and take out the stem, seeds and any white bits. Rinse inside and out under cold running water. Set aside.
- Squash the olives with the flat side of your knife on a cutting board. Place in a mixing bowl with the tuna, chopped onion, capers and olive oil.
- Using a fork, mix all the ingredients together vigorously until the oil starts to turn almost milky and the tuna is well broken up.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning with some freshly ground black pepper and salt (if needed).
- Scoop the filling into the prepared halves of the yellow pepper. Cut each half into thirds lengthwise and garnish with some fresh basil.
- Serve cold.